On March 20th, 1933, on the recommendation of Mayor Joe F. Swisher the Marshall City Council approved the purchase of 110 acres from Ralph H. and Juanita Beth Duggins for $5,000. The purchase of this land was not looked upon with much favor among the citizens of Marshall, as this land was commonly referred to as “goat hill”. Over the years an additional 215.4 acres have been purchased to make a total of 325.4 acres within the park system.
City Park was dedicated on July 4th, 1933. The celebration included baseball games, a public marriage, speeches by dignitaries, and a rodeo and concluded with a fireworks display. It was estimated that over 25,000 people attended the day’s activities.
On August 7th, 1933, Mayor Joe F. Swisher, with the approval of the City Council appointed the first Board that included: Wm. T. Bellamy, Mary Fisher, P.J. Cole, Mrs. E.A. Fake, I.N. Evrard, Imanuel Wittrup, Mrs. George Hatton, Sr., Ben F. Hatcher and R.P. McElwain.
Turley Rumans January 3, 1938 – December 31, 1941
Frank Evans January 1, 1942 – May 31, 1943
W.H. Lyons June 1, 1943 – July 27, 1963
C. Edwin Brown August 8, 1963 – December 31, 1974
Dan Rippel January 1, 1975 – August 15, 1975
William Johnson September 1, 1975 – August 1, 1977
J. Marvin Sprigg September 14, 1977 – September 1, 1979
George Brown October 15, 1979 – October 17, 1986
Jack Harvey November 1, 1986 – September 30, 2001
Mel Smith December 15, 2001 – March 15, 2004
Jeff Stubblefield July 1, 2004 – Present
There were two baseball games played in the morning; one with Slater and the other with Hardeman.
From the time of the purchase of the Park, April 3rd, 1933, until September 3rd, 1934, the Park was known merely as the City Park. September 3rd, 1934, the City Council with the approval of the Park Board named this area Indian Foothills Park. The name seems quite appropriate in as much as some think the hills might be Indian mounds.
August 5th, 1935
The City Council called a Special Election to vote on a $30,000 bond issue for the construction of a Municipal Swimming Pool at the Park. The bond issue was not passed at this time.
August 12th, 1936
Another special eclection was called by the City Council for the purpose of issuing bonds in the amount of $30,000, for the construction of said swimming pool. The bond was passed.
August 17th, 1936
Bonds were sold and R.N. Perkins of Omaha, Nebraska, was employed as the architect for the swimming pool. Mr. Perkins recommended that the swimming pool be located in the south part of the park, north of the ball diamond.
September 11th, 1936
Construction was started on the swimming pool and concession stand after the Election on August 12, 1936 as additional monies were received from the W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration) Grant of $93,000 for a total of $123,000.
May 2nd, 1938
Volney Ashford was appointed manager of the swimming pool.
June 1st, 1938
Marshall swimming pool opened to the public.
Updates made since the pool was first opened:
Renovation to Equipment Room and Water Circulation System funded by 50/50 LWCF(Land & Water Conservation Fund) Grant $60,000 total
August 1, 2002
Complete renovation of Swimming Pool to Aquatic Center with Concession Stand begins after sales tax referendum passed on August 7, 2001 – Aquatic Center - $2,660,650, Concession Stand - $41,000, park improvement fund
May 26, 2003
Marshall Aquatic Center Opens
Main water pump fails and delays opening for two weeks - $12,000 park funds
Replaced sand filters - $10,000, park funds
Glass blocks removed and replaced by split faced block - $5,000 park funds
New drop slides installed - $5,000, park funds, paint large tube slide structure - $3,000, park funds
This is a children's play area named after Travis Guthrey, a school teacher who was very fond of children. In 1940 Travis Guthrey passed away and left some money to the park to be spent on a playground. This amount didn't cover all the cost of the playground, but it set the ball in motion for building a play area. The original play area included: Slides, swings of all kinds, ocean wave, trapeze bars, jungle gym, chinning bars, fire chief, tilt-a-whirl, kiddie cars, sand boxes, swinging gate, rolling-log, see-saws, merry-go-round, spring horses, and many other things. Since this time Guthrey Play area has had a make-over, the play area was redone in 2008. It now includes a giant web, a rock to climb, swings, slides, and many other things.
October 28, 2006, Marshall Skate Park completed and Grand Opening, 24,000 concrete skate park designed by local skaters Nic Restitudo and Brandon Eades and concrete work led by George McComas - $160,000 park improvement fund
Marshall Bow Hunters Club has leased this area for many years
1988, shelter house and concession built by Marshall Bow Hunters Club
1990, restrooms built by Marshall Bow Hunters Club
1992, storage shed built by Marshall Bow Hunters Club
2008, storage shed destroyed by fire
2009, storage shed rebuilt by Marshall Bow Hunters Club
2016, rebuilt walk bridge to 3-D range
1988, 12 National Horseshoe Pitchers Association approved courts built by Saline Co. Horseshoe Club and other individual donors’ - $1,500
1989, Shelter House built by park staff and funds - $5,000
2007, new lights purchased (park) and installed (MMU) - $2,700 park funds
1945, construction begins on 9-hole golf course designed by Tom Talbot of Kansas City, MO
June 1, 1946, Indian Foothills Golf Course opened for play
1965, original golf house (now Administration Building) built - $12,500 park funds
1986, Shelter built on original #6, now #2, in Memory of Mr. Kent
1999, construction begins on additional 9 holes, designed by Craig Schreiner Golf Course Architects, Inc., Kansas City, MO
2000, New golf house built by MHS Building Trades Class and 9-Hole expansion, driving range and practice greens, built by Golf Construction of America, L.L.C. - total construction $1,200,000, golf course certificate bond
2002, Lucille Hare Shelter/Restrooms built, donated by Elmer Hare & Family - $13,174
2009, renovated deck and railing – park funds and golf improvement committee
2010, zoysia sod added to Fairways #1-5, park funds and golf improvement committee
2011, zoysia sod added to Fairways #6-9, park funds and golf improvement committee
2014, re-flooring of golf house, donated by Pocahontas golf league
2016, new fairway yardage makers, donated by golf improvement committee
The pro shop is operated in conjunction with the golf course. Here one may obtain everything that is needed for the game of golf.
The park is a beautiful growing place that continues to make changes to help make the park even more enjoyable for everyone. Without the help and support of the community the park would not be where it is today.